Supervisor: Library Board of Trustees
Hours of Work: Salaried, Full Time
The Hampshire County Public Library is a rural library with a service population of 18,814. The library director will be responsible for overseeing the library facility, supervising staff, reporting to library trustees, creating and maintaining community partnerships, and serving on the board of a regional library consortium. HCPL is at an exciting juncture: a 4 year funding levy passed in 2020, multiple building updates have been completed, and technology updates are in process. The incoming director will be able to step in and begin developing a community outreach plan to extend library services to the more remote areas of our 650+ sq mile county!
The salary for this position is based on experience and qualifications. Single person health benefits and paid sick leave/vacation are also included in the benefits package.
Qualifications, Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university required. Preference will be given to applicants with prior library and/or supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to administer the activities of a public library and to supervise the work of others
- Ability to develop short and long term development, plans, and objectives
- Maintains knowledge of standard library principles and practices, concepts of freedom of speech, copyrights, collection development, patron confidentiality, censorship, and other library ethical issues
- Proficiency with computers, popular library software, internet and digital communications
- Thorough ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies, and the general public
- Plans, implements, and evaluates library services
- Develops marketing materials and strategies for library programs and services
- Develops, implements, and evaluates long and short term goals and objectives
- Develops, updates, and administers policies concerning library operations, budgets and programs
- Handles complaints in accordance with policy
- Provides supervision and delegates responsibilities to the library staff
- Recruits, trains, evaluates and, when necessary, terminates library staff.
- Conducts staff meetings
- Prepares the annual budget and presents budget requests before the Library Board.
- Directs and controls the expenditure of fund allocations within constraints of approved budgets.
- Purchases new equipment and furnishings
- Accepts and acknowledges gifts of money and library materials
- Pursues and applies for grant funding
- Prepares monthly and annual statistical reports to Library Board and State Library Commission.
- Attends monthly Board of Trustee meetings
- Supervises maintenance of library building equipment and furnishings
- Oversees collection development and maintenance; responsible for copy cataloguing
- Cooperates with community groups and town officials to implement library services
- Speaks before local groups
- Keeps informed of current developments in library field by attending workshops, professional meetings, and reading current literature
- Maintains membership in professional organizations
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to patrons as needed
- Serves on the board of a regional library consortium
To apply, email resume, cover letter and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 15, 2021.