The 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a free early literacy program that encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she enters kindergarten.
Here are the easy steps for participation:
- Read together
- Keep track of how many books your child has read in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Badge Book you will receive or on the Zoobean Beanstack Tracker app. (If a book is read more than once, you can record it each time! We encourage kids to engage with reading, so continual favorites are only a benefit.)
- When your child has finished 100 books, bring the book log to the library and
- Place a forest animal with your name back in our reading forest
- Receive a prize for 100 books (the more books, the higher the prize level. We have great interactive items such as placemat, bubbles, animal puppets, playdough, activity books, etc.)
- Repeat steps 1-3 until your child has completed the program!
After reading 1,000 books, your child will:
- Receive a book of their choice and certificate of completion
This program has no end date beyond your child starting kindergarten, so don’t feel rushed! By reading just one story a day, you can read over 1,000 books in just three years!
Reading to young children is a great way to instill a love of reading and help develop language skills! We have a collection of board books and picture books for young kids in our children’s room. For any patrons who prefer not to enter the library at this time, you can browse our selection of children’s materials on both Libby and hoopla–both of which can be accessed from home!