The 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a free early literacy program that encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she enters kindergarten.
Here are the easy steps for participation:
- Read together
- Keep track of how many books your child has read in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten folder you will receive. If a book is read more than once, you can record it each time. Books that your child listens to or watches being read online count, as do regular audio books!
- When your child has finished 100 books, bring the book log to the library and
- Place a raindrop on our progress tracker
- Receive a sticker for the completed page
- Repeat steps 1-3 until your child has completed the program!
- We have special awards along the way for your child, including coloring pages, bubbles, a color scratch bookmark, playdough, and a Pre-K erasable activity book.
- After reading 1,000 books, your child will
- Receive a book of their choice and certificate of completion
This program has no end date beyond your child starting kindergarten, so don’t feel rushed! By reading just one story a day, you can read over 1,000 books in just three years!
Reading to young children is a great way to instill a love of reading and help develop language skills! We have a collection of board books and picture books for young kids in our children’s room. For any patrons who prefer not to enter the library at this time, we can put together a selection of children’s books for you to pick up through our curbside service or you can browse our selection of children’s materials on both Overdrive and Kanopy–both of which can be accessed from home!