The Hampshire County Public Library is a public institution dedicated to providing equal, uncensored access to information in a wide variety of formats to serve the educational, recreational, cultural and informational needs of all Citizens of Hampshire County.
Hampshire County Public Library
153 West Main Street
Romney, WV 26757
Mon / Wed / Fri: 10 am – 6 pm & Tue / Thur: 9am – 7 pm
Saturday: 10 am – 4 pm
Steve Moreland – President
Tom Williams – Treasurer
Julie Frazier Jill Barnes Pyles
Organization and Funding:
The Hampshire County Public Library is administered by a five member Library Board appointed by the County Commission. The library receives the bulk of its financing from a special library levy that was first established in 1987 after the elimination of Revenue Funding. Additional funding is provided by the State of West Virginia, the Hampshire County School Board, the town of Romney, and donations from the community.
History of the Library
When space became too small for the books, permission was granted by the Masonic Order for the use of the first floor of the old Literary Hall and the books were moved there in March 1937.
Volunteers kept the library open for many years until January 1942 when a mass meeting was called for the purpose of involving the public in supporting a more extensive library service. Incorporated as a non-profit organization, a charter was issued for the Hampshire County Library Association on January 29, 1942.
But it was not until 1967 that a library building became a reality when a dedication ceremony was held for the present building located on 153 West Main Street. This beautiful and spacious building was made possible through the generous donations of Mary and Kate Davis and Mr. and Mrs. J. Holland Rannells and the untiring efforts of Ralph Haines and Loudoun Thompson.