The 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a free program encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she enters kindergarten.
Here are the easy steps for participation:
- Read together
- Write the titles on your book logs (in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten folder you will receive). If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at library storytime, at daycare or by others to your child also count, as do audio books!
- When you finish 100 books, bring the book log to the library and
- Place a sticker on our progress tracker
- Receive a sticker for the completed page
- Repeat steps 1-3.
- We have special awards along the way for both you and your child, including a book bag, hand puppet, take-home craft, and window cling!
- After finishing 1,000 books, your child will
- Receive a book and certificate of completion
- Have his or her name included in the HCPL newsletter
This program has no end date beyond your child starting kindergarten, so don’t feel rushed! By reading just one story a day, you can read over 1,000 books in just three years!
The library is a fun place with books to check out, free programs, and great suggestions for what to read next. Stop in, register for the program, and see what else we have for you!